National Service Scheme (NSS)
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It provides opportunity to the student youth of 11th & 12th Class of schools at +2 Board level and student youth of Technical Institution, Graduate & Post Graduate at colleges and University level of India to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes.The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service. Since inception of the NSS in the year 1969, the number of students strength increased from 40,000 to over 3.8 million up to the end of March 2018 students in various universities, colleges and Institutions of higher learning have volunteered to take part in various community service programmes.
The NSS Badge Proud to Serve the Nation:
All the youth volunteers who opt to serve the nation through the NSS led community service wear the NSS badge with pride and a sense of responsibility towards helping needy. The Konark wheel in the NSS badge having 8 bars signifies the 24 hours of a the day, reminding the wearer to be ready for the service of the nation round the clock i.e. for 24 hours.Red colour in the badge signifies energy and spirit displayed by the NSS volunteers. The Blue colour signifies the cosmos of which the NSS is a tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of the mankind.
Details of NSS Activities 2018-2019 ( MESITAM ) Unit No: 504 & 536
- June 5 : Environment Day : As a part of world environment day NSS volunteers of MESITAM had conducted a talk with agriculture officer. After that in the presence of Principal planted trees in the college campus . Agricultural Officer Mr.Pramod sir conducted a seminar on the importance of that day which was very useful to the students. View Photos
- June 21 : Yoga Day : As a part of Yoga Day Celebrations NSS Volunter’s and faculties practiced yoga under the supervision of the Yoga master Mr. Biju G. He was actually an honorary instructor of Anandamaya Yoga Charitable Society Kollam. He also gave an orientation about the importance of Yoga on that day.
- August 15 : Independence Day : As a part of the Independence Day celebrations on August 15, 2018 the NSS volunteers gathered at the college campus and the Principal Dr M Jayaraju sir hoisted the national flag. Principal and HOD’s of different department had given a independence day message to the students on the specialty of that day.
- August 15 : Road Side Cleaning: As a part of Independence Day, after the flag hoist and talks we moved on to next work. We spend the afternoon section by cleaning our panchayat road
- August 29 : Flood Relief Data Collection:This was a flood relief work; the NSS volunteers of our college went to Alapuzha district and engaged in data collection work.
- August 30 : Flood Relief: We the NSS volunteers and the staffs of our college had visited flood relief camp in Alappuzha, interacted with the people who had lost their houses in flood and we have cleaned everywhere in the camp which was very useful for them.
- September 5 : Teachers Day: As a part of teachers day celebration on September 5, 2018 .The NSS volunteers of our college distribute cake to our teachers. After that we had a debate programme.
- September 13 : Leptospirosis Awareness Class: After the flood the major problem we had faced is the water born diseases. So the NSS unit of our college conducted leptospirosis awareness class which was very much informative to us.
- September 16 : Cleaning Programme: NSS units of MESITAM providing a clear walk way to the college campus and cleaned the spot and make the spot fit for agriculture.
- September 24 : NSS Day: We the NSS units of MESITAM started agriculture on that day. As a part of that our Principal inaugurated the programme by planting banana sampling. After that our programmer officer had a speech on the specialty of the day.
- October 2 : Gandhi Jayanthi: On Gandhi Jayanthi, we had planted sapling on the grow bag which was distributed by the panchayat. After that we had a quiz competition based on the topic history of India.
- November 1 : Kerala Piravi: As a part of the Kerala piravi celebrations, our NSS volunteers take oath and after that we had a gaming section.
- November 18 : General Orientation: We had conducted an orientation class for the juniors. The class was taken by Naseem Hashimi sir. The students were able to understand the real moto of NSS.
- November 19 : Blood Donation: We the NSS units of MESITAM successfully organized and conducted blood donation camp in our college in association with Govt. Medical College, Kollam
- January 26 : Students And Social Commitment: This was an orientation class conducted during camp days. The class was handled by Jihath, NSS PAC member HSE Kollam. The class was very expressive and interesting for the volunteers. This orientation was very much beneficial and every one becomes aware of it.
- January 26 : Njavaroor Road Renovation: We the NSS volunteers of our college renovated the Njavaroor road near our college which was very useful to the people living in that area .The programme was arranged on the basis of Republic day. After the flag hoist we move on to the programme.
- January 27 : Technology’s New Era: This was an orientation programme conducted during camp days.The class was handled by Dr. P .Premlet. The class was based on evolution of technologies. The students interact each other.
- February 2 : Electrical Safety Self Maintenance And General First Aid: This was an orientation programme conducted during camp days. The class was very much beneficiary to us. We all get important instructions about electrical safety and maintenance. The class was interesting and it was handled by Satheesh Kumar sir.
- February 15 : Cleaning Programme: This was a cleaning programme. We the NSS volunteers together cleaned the area near our ground in order to prepare for the football tournament.
- February 16 : Renovation of Njavoor Road: We started the Njavaroor road renovation on Republic day, on that day we were not able to complete it .On February we continued the work and completed it successfully.
- February 23 : Women Empowerment Programme: This was a women empowerment programme conducted by Child Development Project Officer Renjini. It was an poster designing programme based on the topic “women past present future”, this was a district level competition. The officer collected the posters prepared by the volunteers.
- PUNARJJANI CAMP: 24/01/2019 to 30/01/2019: NSS Units of MESITAM conducted the PUNARJJANI CAMP from 24/01/2019 to 30/01/2019 at Kollam Medical College. Almost 80 volunteers participated in the camp which was inaugurated by Dr. K Krishnakumar (Joint Director, Technical education, Kerala). Many biomedical equipments from the medical college was collected and assets of around One crore were restored. We are proud to be a part of this programme.